How to Fix Code 43 Errors In Windows
One of the errors that you may face on your Windows computer is the flash drive not recognized issue on your system. This is a common problem among Windows users, which occurs when your computer is unable to recognize the USB device you have connected to one of its ports.
If this has happened to you, you know that it prevents you from accessing your USB device on your computer.
The following guide explains how to fix the code 43 errors in Windows (USB device not recognized) issues using different methods.
- Part 1: What does error code 43 mean?
- Part 2: Determine if there is an error related to code 43
- Part 3: What to do when Code 43 appears?
- Way 1: Restart your computer
- Way 2: Reconnect the problematic device
- Way 3: Update Driver
- Way 4: Use “Run Troubleshooter”
- Way 5: Power Management
- Way 7: Update BIOS
- Way 8: Update your Windows
- Way 9: Check Power Management Options
- Way 10: Reset the whole system
- Part 4: Recover data lost due to error code 43
- Part 5: Conclusion
What does Code 43 Errors in Windows mean?
The Code 43 error is one of several Device Manager errors. This error occurs when Device Manager shuts down the hardware and reports the unidentified problem. The following message appears on the screen: “Windows has stopped this device because it has problems. (code 43)”. This error code can appear on all recent Microsoft Windows operating systems, ranging from Windows 10 to Windows XP.
Determine if there is an error related to code 43
To fix error code 43 on Windows 10, press Windows + R, and type: “devmgmt.msc“
- Expand the folder for the device that has a problem. Here we will troubleshoot the equipment. Double-click the selected device to open its properties.
- If the device is not working properly, you will see the code 43 error message.
As stated, the error code is related to a hardware issue. But, it can also be a device driver issue. Windows cannot help you narrow down the problem. But as soon as you get the error, you can “view device status” to see the actual problem.
Unfortunately, when the code appears, it would be difficult to find the device. This could be the video driver, USB device, or anything else connected. Often it can be a device.
Anyway, one thing is for sure, the error code relates to the device manager. You can always troubleshoot the device and see if that fixes the problem. The error code isn’t exclusive to Windows 10, either. It can appear on Windows 8, 7, XP, Vista and other variants.
- Solution for problems reported by Windows Code 43
- Check the hardware for any issues
- Restart the computer
- Run the troubleshooter
- Check USB devices
- Device Management Solutions
- Solutions for device drivers
- Update BIOS
- Update your Windows operating system
- Check power management options
- Reset the whole system
What to do when you have Code 43 Errors in Windows?
1. Restart your computer
To fix “Windows has stopped this device because it has problems. (code 43)”, just restart your computer and reinstall the device. This also applies to your USB device.
In this method, you just need to restart your computer using the standard restart method. Then, disconnect your USB device from your computer and reconnect it. Then reset your PC and you will notice that the USB key has been recognized by your system.
2. Reconnect the problematic device
Here is another cause of this problem that is often overlooked. The port you want to use on your system may not work and may be damaged. In this case, your system will not be able to detect your device, and USB not recognized error message will be displayed on the screen.
Therefore, try to use other available USB ports on your computer. If the port is the problem, changing it will fix the problem.
Also Read: How to Fix Mouse Cursor Disappears in Windows 10
3. Update Driver
- Press Windows + R , and type devmgmt.msc in the dialog box, then click OK.
- The Device Manager dialog opens.
- Right-click on the device that has issues and selects Update Operating Program.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- After finishing the search, if there are updated drivers, it will download and install them, and then the code 43 error will be solved.
4. Use “Run Troubleshooter” for fixing Code 43 Errors in Windows
- Press the Win + I keys or click the Windows Start button and click Settings.
- Click Update & Security .
- Select the troubleshooter on the left, click Hardware and Peripherals, then click Run troubleshooter.
5. Power Management
- Press the right mouse button on the Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Next, expand the Keyboard device.
- Next, right-click on the keyboard driver and click Properties.
- As with the previous steps, go to the Power Management tab.
- Uncheck Allow this device to wake the computer.
6. Device Management Solutions
As the Code 43 error is a device manager error code, it is the right decision to follow these steps.
Uninstall a device that is not needed
Open device manager and find any device names you no longer use. Do not uninstall other devices in use. For error code 43, you can go one by one. Select the device driver and uninstall it.
Disable device driver
- To disable a device driver, simply return to the Device Manager window.
- Right-click on the device driver and select Properties.
- You will find the option “Disable” the driver in the general tab.
- Select the driver you want to disable.
- Repeat the action for another USB key or another hardware driver.
Reactivating a deactivated device
To re-enable the disabled device, follow the option given above. If you still get error code 43 “Windows has stopped this device“, enable the driver. Select the driver or USB drive you want to re-enable and the option should be there.
7. Update BIOS
Go to your motherboard manufacturer’s website. Find the BIOS driver software and update the whole system. Sometimes the problem is not with the USB device, but with an internal hardware component.
8. Update your Windows
Apart from checking for the latest drivers, it is good to run Windows updates. If windows have stopped this device, error 43 persists, check for updates. Make sure you have the latest version for Windows.
9. Check Power Management Options
Sometimes the problem is with the powered USB hub. To do this, you must follow these steps:
- Go to the Start menu. Type Device Manager.
- Open it and go to the USB option.
- Right-click on each USB device and go to properties.
- Then go to the “Power Management” option.
- There you will find the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“. Disable it.
- Be sure to follow it for all other USB settings.
Check if the device is working fine or if you still get error code 43. You can try the power options window, but this one is the best.
10. Reset the whole system
As a last resort, all you can do is reset the entire Windows operating system. This will solve almost all problems. None of the above options worked? Still, getting the error code 43 warning message? Then all you can do is completely reset the computer.
1. How to fix error code 43 “Windows has stopped this device”?
If you keep getting Code 43 errors, you can check the Bluetooth dongle, if you are using one. You can also select driver options and check for recently installed updates. You can roll back to the previous version or update the drivers. This should help you resolve the issue.
2. What is the problem with code 43 in USB?
Generally, when a USB device is not performing optimally, you may get error code 43. For this, you can either reset the USB device. You can also try to roll back.
3. How do I fix my Code 43 graphics card?
For the graphics card, you will need to choose the “rollback” option or update the driver. Sometimes using devices to override the pilot also works.
Also Read: Network Adapter Not Working – How to Fix it
FixBit Update drivers and fix error code 43
In order to update drivers, you can use a software called FixBit Windows Driver Updater tool. It helps users update their software no matter how small or large they are, and here is how you can update your driver for smooth PC performance.
- Step 1 Download and Click “Run”(”Save As” if using Firefox) to get Fixbit on your computer. Click “Run” Again.
- Step 2 Follow On-Screen instructions to finish the installation
- Step 3 Scan your device and click update.
We are sure that you were able to fix your code 43 issue on Windows 10 using our top solutions in the guide above.
And in case you need to update all Windows drivers in one click, FixBit Software Updater is your best solution to update them.